Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Didn't Get It

Something about being the person who is living your life leaves you oblivious to even the most evident messages.

And by you, I mean me.

Because when he invited himself to go up north with me for Thanksgiving, I didn’t get that that was weird.

But I was the only one.

Relaying the story to others, responses ranged from, “You know he wants to get with you,” to boisterous, nearly malicious laughter.

And the most telling reaction was from the roommate of a friend. A person who externalizes all internal dialog and whose internal dialog will not shut up. A person whose sentences all end with “. . . because I have a girlfriend.” A person so void of any notion of social normalcy that, the morning after, he’ll ask my friend if he heard their loud sex. And if my friend was deaf to his roommate’s expressions of carnal pleasure, the roommate will be sure that the following night, his lusty outcries are noticed. And this roommate, talking to me as if he were wearing pants over his boxer-briefs, sitting ankle on knee, forearm on thigh, confirmed that I was blind to what all others could see.

“Yeah – people have tried to pull that on me – I tell ‘um I’m driving to Arizona – they ask if the can come along. I’m like – 'no.' Gotta watch out for people like that – they’re weird.”

Clarity from the drunk on the corner who speaks in tongues.

No comments: