Saturday, October 08, 2005

To You, Richard

Worries have a way of mating to produce illegitimate offspring, but the genetics of a little success bred with anxiety are much more bizarre.

I’ve read that even the great Feynman felt like an imposter at times, and thought up the following response to mounting optimism:

On being offered a job at Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study:

"They must have expected me to be wonderful to offer me a job like this and I wasn't wonderful, and therefore I realized a new principle, which was that I'm not responsible for what other people think I'm able to do; I don't have to be good because they think I'm going to be good. And somehow or other I could relax about this, and I thought to myself, I haven't done anything important and I'm never going to do anything important.”

So, he let himself once again “enjoy physics and mathematical things. . ."

. . . and won the Nobel Prize for what he did while he was there.

No comments: